Published: May 10 2023
- Tram #2 Route
- Major Stops and Attractions
- Parliament Building
- Chain Bridge
- Buda Castle
- Gellért Hill
- Eötvös tér
- Tips for Riding Tram #2
- Final Thoughts
Tram #2 takes you on a spectacular ride along the Danube River on the Pest side of Budapest, offering breathtaking glimpses of the Buda side of the city, along with Buda Castle and numerous other landmarks. So, if you're visiting Budapest or simply want to rediscover the charm of this enchanting city, keep reading to learn more about Tram #2 and the unforgettable sights it offers.
Tram #2 Route
Tram #2 operates between Közvágóhíd H and Jászai Mari tér, passing through notable points of interest in the city. This route offers views of stunning architectural treasures and the iconic Danube River, perfect for capturing postcard-worthy pictures.
Major Stops and Attractions
Here are some of the major stops and attractions along the Tram #2 route that you can look forward to:
This colossal, baroque neo-gothic structure is an astonishing sight up close. As the tram glides past the Parliament building, you can almost feel the history it carries. At night, the building is illuminated, casting a mesmerizing reflection on the Danube and creating an unforgettable experience.
Another remarkable view along the route is the Chain Bridge, the oldest and most iconic bridge in Budapest, connecting Buda and Pest. Its magnificent design and stunning lighting at night create an ethereal atmosphere, making it a must-see sight as the tram nears Eötvös tér station.
From the Pest side of the Danube, Tram #2 offers some of the best vantage points to observe the majestic Buda Castle. This World Heritage Site dates back to the 13th century and is an emblem of the city's history and grandeur.
As the tram traverses the Pest side, you'll also have the opportunity to marvel at the verdant Gellért Hill, home to the Liberty Statue and Citadel. The hill's luscious greenery serves as a lovely contrast to the city's urban structures.
Eötvös tér is a beautiful square close to the Chain Bridge, where you can stop for a while and take in the views. It's an ideal spot for a leisurely stroll, enjoying the beautiful Danube promenade, and immersing yourself in the city's ambience.
Tips for Riding Tram #2
To make the most of this scenic journey, here are a few practical tips to keep in mind:
- Consider purchasing a 24-hour travel card or a 72-hour Budapest Card, which allows unlimited travel on public transport, including trams, buses, and metro lines, throughout its validity period. This way, you can hop on and off the tram at your convenience, exploring the sights at your own pace.
- For an ideal experience, try boarding Tram #2 during non-peak hours to enjoy a less crowded journey and ample seating. The early morning and late evening hours also provide better lighting for photography.
- Make sure to sit or stand near the windows on the right side of the tram when facing forward, as this offers the best views of the attractions along the route.
- Travelling on Tram #2 after sunset is highly recommended, as the city's landmarks are beautifully illuminated, offering a whole different perspective of Budapest's charm.
- Some parts of the tram route run on dedicated tracks, which may require occasional transfers. However, these short walks can be an excellent opportunity to closely explore some of Budapest's impressive streets.
Tram #2 undoubtedly provides one of the most scenic and unforgettable journeys through the heart of Budapest. With the perfect blend of history, architecture, and natural beauty, it's a must-experience activity for both tourists and locals. So hop aboard and let the enchanting world of Budapest unfold before your eyes!