Lake Balaton is a popular holiday destination in Hungary, known for its beautiful beaches. However, recent reports have shown that theft rates in the area are high, making it important for tourists to be vigilant and take precautions to protect their belongings.
Theft Rates in Towns Around Lake Balaton
According to data from the Hungarian police, certain towns around Lake Balaton have higher theft rates than others. Siófok, one of the busiest towns in the summertime, has the highest rate of theft in the area. Balatonfüred, Balatonlelle, and Balatonboglár also have relatively high theft rates, although they are not as bad as Siófok. The northern shore of the lake seems to be safer in terms of theft.
Tips from the Hungarian Police
The Hungarian police have provided some suggestions on how to prevent becoming a victim of theft while on holiday at Lake Balaton. These include:
- Only taking as much money as needed and keeping cash and credit cards in separate pockets.
- Keeping bags close to the body, especially in crowded areas. If using a backpack, carrying it in a way that allows for visibility.
- Keeping belongings in sight and avoiding placing wallets on tables when dining out.
- Rolling up car windows when traveling by car.
- Avoiding taking valuable items to the beach, but if necessary, using lockers to secure them.
Taking these precautions can help ensure a safer and more enjoyable holiday experience at Lake Balaton.
Questions & Answers
Is Lake Balaton a popular vacation spot in Hungary? Yes, Lake Balaton is one of the most preferred holiday destinations in Hungary.
Are theft rates high around Lake Balaton? Yes, theft rates are high in certain towns around Lake Balaton.
Which town has the highest rate of theft around Lake Balaton? Siófok has the highest rate of theft among the towns around Lake Balaton.
Are there other towns with high theft rates around Lake Balaton? Yes, Balatonfüred, Balatonlelle, and Balatonboglár also have relatively high theft rates, though not as bad as Siófok.
Is the northern shore of Lake Balaton safer in terms of theft rates? Based on the map provided by the Hungarian police, it appears that the northern shore of Lake Balaton has relatively lower theft rates compared to other areas.
Who are thieves more likely to target as victims? While thieves usually choose elderly people as their victims, nobody can be truly safe from theft.
What suggestions does the Hungarian police give to avoid becoming a victim of theft? The Hungarian police suggest the following measures:
- Only take as much money as you need and avoid keeping cash and credit cards in the same pocket.
- Always keep your bag close to your body, especially in crowds. If you have a backpack, take it off and carry it where you can see it.
- Always keep your belongings where you can see them, especially when going to a restaurant. Avoid placing your wallet on the table.
- If you are traveling by car, make sure to roll up all the windows.
- If you must bring valuable items to the beach, put them in lockers.