Published: July 31 2023
Are you planning a trip to the captivating city of Budapest, and concerned about how safe it is after dark? The answer is, like in any city, safety can vary. Generally, Budapest is considered safe to roam around at night. However, it is prudent to follow some basic safety rules.
The General Safety Situation in Budapest
Budapest, the capital of Hungary, is a major tourist destination in Europe. Known for its beautiful architecture, vibrant culture, and rich history, the city attracts millions of visitors each year. Visitors often find Budapest relatively safe compared to other European capitals. The overall crime rate is low, and violent crimes are rare.
Even after dark, Budapest exhibits a bustling nightlife, with many tourists and locals circulating the city's vibrant restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. Most of their experiences remain pleasant and trouble-free.
Areas to Avoid After Dark
Not all parts of the city are equal when it comes to safety at night. Here are a few areas where you may want to exercise caution after dark:
- Eighth District: Particularly the part around Baross utca and Kőbányai út, known as the 'outer part,' has a high crime rate. As a rule of thumb, it may be better to avoid this area after dark.
- City Park (Városliget): During the day, it is a beautiful park to explore. However, in the late evening, it becomes less populated and thus, less safe. Stick to well-lit areas and avoid the park if you're alone.
Safety Tips for Staying Out Late In Budapest
Before you gear up to experience the nightlife in Budapest, it’s a good idea to follow these safety tips.
- Stick to Well-Lighted Areas: Most tourist routes in Budapest are well lit, especially in the downtown areas. It's always safer to stay in well-lighted places.
- Don't Flaunt Wealth: Avoid displaying expensive cameras, jewelry, or large amounts of cash that can make you a target for pickpocketers.
- Keep Essential Documents Safe: It's wise to keep your passport and other important documents in your hotel safe, carrying copies when you go out.
- Avoid Solo Adventures: Exploring in groups can decrease the chance of possible mishaps, especially at night.
Are Public Transports Safe After Dark?
Budapest's public transport network operates reliably into the late hours. Trams, buses, and metro services are generally safe and well-patrolled. Night buses (Éjszakai buses) run after midnight and serve all parts of the city.
In conclusion, while Budapest is generally safe, it's crucial to remain vigilant, practice general safety rules, and employ common sense, especially at night. With adequate precautions, there's no reason you can't enjoy the charm of Budapest after hours.