Published: November 14 2023
Christmas in Hungary is a time for delicious traditional foods, and one of the favorites is mákos guba, a poppy seed bread pudding. This blog post provides a twist on the traditional dish by sharing a recipe for mákos guba cake.
Ingredients for mákos guba cake
If you're interested in making mákos guba cake, here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 8 dried (or old) bread rolls (kifli)
- 1 l milk for the base, 2,5 dl milk for the cream
- 3 egg yolks for the base, 2 egg yolks for the cream
- 15 dkg icing sugar for the base, 15 dkg icing sugar for the cream
- 2 packets vanilla sugar for the base, 2 packets vanilla sugar for the cream
- 10 dkg butter for the base, 20 dkg butter for the cream
- 15 dkg ground poppy seeds for the base
- 10 dkg raisins for the base
- grated zest of 1 lemon for the base
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the base
- 3-4 tablespoons apricot jam for the base
- 1 packet vanilla pudding powder for the cream
- 2-3 dl whipped cream on top
How to prepare mákos guba cake
Here's a step-by-step guide to making mákos guba cake:
- Slice the bread rolls evenly, ensuring they're a bit dry rather than fresh.
- Prepare the milk sauce by heating 10 dkg of butter in a liter of milk. In a separate bowl, mix 3 egg yolks with 15 dkg of icing sugar and 2 packets of vanilla sugar until smooth. Add this mixture to the milk, stirring slowly, and cook over a steam until thick.
- Sprinkle the sliced bread rolls with ground poppy seeds, cinnamon, raisins, and grated lemon zest. Mix well.
- Pour the boiled milk sauce over the bread rolls, ensuring they absorb the liquid. Let it stand for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle a buttered cake pan with breadcrumbs. Pour the poppy seed and milky rolls mixture into the pan. Spread apricot jam evenly over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 100°C oven for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned. Allow it to cool in the pan and then transfer it onto a tray.
- Prepare the cream by mixing 20 dkg of butter with 7.5 dkg of icing sugar until smooth. In another bowl, mix the remaining icing sugar, egg yolks, vanilla sugar, and pudding powder. Add milk and cook until thick. Let it cool completely, then mix with the sugared butter to create a smooth cream.
- Spread the cream over the cooled poppy seed rolls and refrigerate to allow the cake to cool and set.
- Finally, whip the cream until stiff and use it to decorate the cake.
Enjoy your mákos guba cake, and don't forget to share your experience if you try this delightful Hungarian treat!
Questions & Answers
What is mákos guba cake? Mákos guba cake is a delicious Hungarian Christmas treat. It is a poppy seed bread pudding made into a cake.
What are the ingredients for mákos guba cake? The ingredients for mákos guba cake include dried bread rolls, milk, egg yolks, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, butter, ground poppy seeds, raisins, lemon zest, cinnamon, apricot jam, and vanilla pudding powder. Whipped cream is also used for decoration.
How do you make mákos guba cake? To make mákos guba cake, you need to slice the bread rolls and prepare a milk sauce with butter, milk, egg yolks, icing sugar, and vanilla sugar. Sprinkle the bread rolls with ground poppy seeds, cinnamon, raisins, and lemon zest, and then pour the milk sauce over them. Let the bread rolls absorb the liquid and then bake them in a cake pan with breadcrumbs and apricot jam. After it's cooked, let it cool in the pan and prepare the cream by mixing butter, icing sugar, egg yolks, vanilla sugar, pudding powder, and milk. Spread the cream on top of the cooled bread rolls and decorate with whipped cream.
What is the temperature and baking time for mákos guba cake? Mákos guba cake should be baked in a preheated 100°C oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it is nicely browned.
Can I make mákos guba cake in advance? Yes, you can make mákos guba cake in advance. Once the cake is prepared, you can let it cool and set in the fridge before serving.
Where can I find the recipe for simple mákos guba? The recipe for simple mákos guba can be found here.