Published: December 21 2023
The Ministry of Construction and Transport has announced the construction of thirty-nine bridges and four viaducts on the new M76 motorway in Hungary. This motorway will connect Zalaegerszeg to the Hungarian motorway network and will be a modern expressway with advanced features.
Key Points about the M76 Motorway Construction Project
- Increased Cost: Originally planned to cost 170 billion forints, the project's estimated cost has now increased to 400 billion forints. If this is the final figure, it will become the most expensive motorway project in Hungary based on price per kilometer.
- Difficult Terrain: The Ministry emphasizes that the M76 motorway will be the most modern Hungarian expressway constructed on challenging terrain.
- Bridges and Viaducts: The 31-kilometer motorway will include thirty-nine bridges and four viaducts.
- Additional Features: The M76 will not only serve as a link between Zalaegerszeg and the M7 motorway but will also be a "smart road." It will have features like a movable baffle system, roller barrier protection, wire rope barrier system, motorized anti-skid system, head-on warning system, smart lighting, solar panels, real-time sensors, and automatic de-icing.
- Connectivity: The project will also include a four-lane link to Keszthely and a link to the Sármellék airport.
By constructing these bridges and viaducts, the new M76 motorway will provide improved connectivity and modern infrastructure to enhance transportation in Hungary.
Questions & Answers
How many bridges and viaducts will be built on the new M76 motorway? Thirty-nine bridges and four viaducts will be constructed on the new M76 motorway.
What is the purpose of the new M76 motorway? The new M76 motorway will connect Zalaegerszeg to the Hungarian motorway network.
How much will the construction of the new M76 motorway cost? Originally planned to cost 170 billion forints (EUR 442,943,840), Minister of Construction and Transport, János Lázár, has now mentioned a figure of 400 billion forints (EUR 1,042,220,800).
Will the new M76 motorway be the most expensive motorway project in Hungary? In terms of price per kilometre, if the final figure is indeed 400 billion forints, it will be the most expensive motorway project in Hungary. However, the Ministry of Construction and Transport emphasizes that it will be the most modern Hungarian expressway in the most difficult terrain ever.
What features will the new M76 motorway have? The 31-kilometre motorway will include a movable baffle system, the Rolling Barrier "roller barrier" protection system, the Blue System "wire rope barrier" system, a motorised anti-skid system, a head-on warning system, smart lighting, solar panels, real-time sensors, and automatic de-icing.
Will the new M76 motorway have connections to other locations in Hungary? Yes, the project will include a four-lane link to Keszthely and a link to the airport in Sármellék.