Published: December 10 2023
As Christmas approaches, many retail chains in Hungary are making changes to their store hours. In this article, we will discuss which stores will be closed on Christmas Eve and provide information on their extended hours leading up to the holiday.
Retail chains that will be closed on Christmas Eve
Several retail chains in Hungary have announced that their stores will be closed on December 24th. This includes Penny, Lidl, Rossmann, Jysk, and Diego. These closures apply to all their stores unless specified otherwise.
Extended hours before Christmas Eve
Despite the closures on Christmas Eve, many of these retail chains will have longer operating hours in the days leading up to the holiday. Penny, for example, will be open until 10 PM on December 22nd and 23rd. Lidl will also have extended hours on December 23rd. It's important to note that these extended hours do not apply to all the stores, so it's advisable to check with your local branch for their specific opening times.
Additional closures and exceptions
While many stores will be closed on Christmas Eve, there are some exceptions. Spar stores in malls, as well as Interspar stores, will remain open until noon on December 24th. Employees working in these stores will receive double their salary. Aldi stores, on the other hand, will be open until noon on Christmas Eve, with only 25% of the employees running the stores. Rossmann is in talks with malls to receive permission to keep their stores closed on Christmas Eve as well.
If you plan on doing any last-minute shopping on Christmas Eve in Hungary, it's important to be aware of the retail chains that will be closed. Make sure to check with your local store for their specific opening times and take advantage of the extended store hours in the days leading up to Christmas Eve.
Questions & Answers
Which retail chains will be closed on Christmas Eve in Hungary? Penny, Lidl, Spar (except for stores in malls), Rossmann, Jysk, and Diego shops will all be closed on 24 December.
Will Penny stores be open on any other days during the holiday season? Yes, Penny stores will be open until 10 PM on 22 and 23 December. From 27 December, they will operate following their ordinary schedule.
Why did Lidl Hungary decide to remain closed on Christmas Eve? Lidl Hungary referred to the importance of families in their decision to remain closed on 24 December.
Will Spar stores be completely closed on Christmas Eve? Spar stores will remain closed on 24 December, except for Interspar stores and Spar and CITY Spars operating in the malls. The latter will be open until noon on the 24th.
What will happen to Aldi stores on Christmas Eve? Aldi stores will be open until noon on 24 December, and 75% of the employees will be on holiday. The remaining 25% will run the stores that will remain open on Christmas Eve and receive extra money.
Will Rossmann stores be closed on Christmas Eve? Yes, 200 Rossmann stores will be closed on 24 December to grant a holiday for their employees.
Has 94 Jysk stores in Hungary been closed on Christmas Eve in the past? Yes, 94 Jysk stores in Hungary have remained closed on Christmas Eve for six consecutive years, regardless of whether it falls on a weekday or weekend.
Will Diego shops be closed on Christmas Eve in Hungary? Yes, Hungarian-owned Diego shops will be closed on both 24 and 31 December, which are both Sundays. The decision also applies to their franchise partners.