Published: December 05 2023
Several shops in Budapest are prioritizing employee well-being by closing their stores on Christmas Eve. This decision allows their staff to relax and spend time with their loved ones during the holiday season.
Companies participating in the initiative
- Libri: The book retailer will close all its Hungarian stores on December 24 to provide a mental recharge for its colleagues. Other retailers, such as Lidl, Mountex, Jysk, Diego, and Penny, have also announced that they will not open their shops on that day.
- Lidl Hungary: In partnership with CÖF-CÖKA and egyenlő.hu, Lidl Hungary will give all 8,500 of its employees the day off on Christmas Eve. This gesture towards its employees is unprecedented in Hungary.
- Mountex: The retailer of outdoor clothing and accessories will be closed on Christmas Eve and has emphasized family priorities. This is not the first time Mountex has closed its stores on this day, as they have been protesting against the shopping frenzy associated with waste and pollution.
- JYSK: The Danish retail chain will be closed on December 24, and they have also announced an earlier wage increase. Salaries of JYSK Hungary employees have already increased by an average of 45% since January 2022.
- Diego: The Hungarian stores of the international franchise retailer, Diego, will be closed on both Christmas Eve and December 31. This decision was made by the franchise owners to allow employees and family business owners to spend the holidays with their loved ones.
- Penny: 230 Penny market stores in Hungary will be closed on December 24. They will, however, have extended hours on December 22 and 23 to assist customers in preparing for the festivities. Penny has previously closed its stores on Christmas Eve in 2016.
The decision of these Budapest shops to close on Christmas Eve demonstrates their commitment to employee well-being and prioritizing family time during the holiday season. This initiative highlights the importance of work-life balance and shows that profit-making is not everything.
Questions & Answers
Why are some shops in Budapest closing on Christmas Eve? Some shops in Budapest are closing on Christmas Eve to prioritize the well-being and relaxation of their staff over the holidays.
Which shop in Hungary is closing all its stores on December 24? Libri is one of the shops in Hungary that will close all its stores on December 24.
What is the reason behind Libri's decision to close its stores on Christmas Eve? Libri is closing its stores to allow its staff to mentally recharge and relax over the busy holiday season.
Which other shops in Hungary have announced that they will not open on Christmas Eve? Other shops in Hungary, such as Lidl, Mountex, Jysk, Diego, and Penny, have also announced that they will not open their stores on December 24.
Why is Lidl Hungary closing its stores on Christmas Eve? Lidl Hungary is closing its stores on Christmas Eve to give all 8,500 of its employees the day off and prioritize employee well-being. This initiative is in collaboration with CÖF-CÖKA (Civil Union Public Benefit Foundation) and egyenlő.hu, a modern trade union.
What is the deadline for deciding whether or not to close shops on Christmas Eve in Hungary? The decision on whether or not to close shops on Christmas Eve in Hungary must be taken by December 10 at the latest.
Why did Mountex, a retailer of outdoor clothing and accessories, decide to close its stores on Christmas Eve? Mountex justified their decision to close the stores on Christmas Eve by stating that they were putting families first. They also closed their stores on Black Friday as a protest against the shopping frenzy and waste associated with it.
Will JYSK Hungary be closed on December 24 this year? Yes, JYSK Hungary will be closed on December 24 this year. They have also announced a planned wage increase and the opening of two new stores in Hungary in December.
Will Diego stores in Hungary be closed on Christmas Eve? Yes, the Hungarian stores of Diego, an international franchise retailer, will be closed on Christmas Eve to allow employees and family business owners to spend the holidays with their loved ones.
Will Penny market stores in Hungary be closed on December 24? Yes, 230 Penny market stores in Hungary will be closed on December 24 this year. They will also have longer opening hours on December 22 and 23 to help customers prepare for the festivities.