Published: June 08 2023
Budapest, the capital city of Hungary, is known for its bustling atmosphere, rich history, and astonishing architecture. For both locals and tourists alike, navigating the city can be a convenient and economical experience, thanks to the well-organized public transport system. In this blog post, we will delve into the specifics of monthly public transport passes in Budapest.
Budapest’s Public Transport System
Budapest's extensive public transport system includes buses, trams, trolleybuses, the metro, suburban trains, and even boats and funiculars. Operated by the Budapesti Közlekedési Központ (BKK), these services interconnect the various parts of the city, enabling seamless and efficient travel.
Monthly Public Transport Passes: Types and Costs
Monthly public transport passes allow for unlimited travel on the BKK-operated services within Budapest. There are various types of passes available to cater to different user needs:
General Monthly Pass
The General Monthly Pass is valid for all types of public transport within Budapest. The current price is HUF 9,500 (approx. €25).
Discounted Monthly Pass
Discounted Monthly Pass is available for eligible students, pensioners, and disabled individuals. Proper documentation is required when purchasing this pass. The current price is HUF 3,450 (approx. €10).
Transferable Monthly Pass
The Transferable Monthly Pass allows multiple users, but only one person can use the pass at a time. This pass is an excellent option for visitors who plan to stay in Budapest for an extended period or local families who share a ticket. The current price is HUF 15,000 (approx. €40).
Although not a monthly pass, the Budapest 24-hour Group Travelcard is another popular option among tourists. This pass allows groups of up to five people unlimited travel within Budapest for 24-hours, costing HUF 3,300 (approx. €9). Consider this pass if you're traveling with a group for a short time.
Where to Purchase Monthly Public Transport Passes
Monthly passes can be purchased at the following locations:
- BKK Customer Service Centers: These can be found at major transport hubs such as Deák Ferenc Tér, Keleti railway station, and the airport.
- Ticket vending machines: Available at metro stations and various tram and bus stops throughout the city.
- Online through the BKK E-Ticket system: Visit BKK's website and follow the steps to purchase and download a digital pass.
Important Points to Keep in Mind
- Make sure to carry personal identification with you at all times, especially when using discounted or transferable passes, as ticket inspectors may ask for proof of eligibility.
- Always keep your pass with you while traveling, as fines for not producing a valid ticket during inspections can be hefty.
- The monthly pass's validity starts on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the same month, regardless of the purchase date.
In conclusion, Budapest's public transport system offers a variety of monthly pass options that cater to different needs and preferences. Whether you're a local or a tourist, these passes provide an economical and convenient way to explore the city's attractions.