Tökfőzelék is a traditional Hungarian dish that is made with pumpkin or squash, onions, and potatoes. It is a flavorful and hearty soup that is perfect for a cold day.
Here is a simple recipe for Hungarian tökfőzelék.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound pumpkin or squash, peeled and diced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin or squash, potatoes, and stock to the saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Gradually add the flour mixture to the soup, stirring constantly, until the soup thickens to your desired consistency.
- Serve the tökfőzelék hot, with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh herbs on top if preferred.